Documents associated with this entity:

Public radio company established in February 1924. It was a joint venture of the Austrian federal government, the City of Vienna, and several banks. Its radio transmissions began on October 1, 1924, and featured classical music, literature, and lectures. From 1925 it began live broadcasts from opera houses and concert halls; live sports broadcasts began in 1928. The company was dissolved soon after the Anschluß in March 1938.

RAVAG and Schenker

Schenker approached RAVAG through Dr. Richtera, Director of Programs, to have Hoboken's Appeal for support for the Photogramm Archive to be read out by Otto Erich Deutsch. The result of this negotiation was the publication in RAVAG's magazine, Radio-Wien, January 27, 1928, of an article about the Archive by Robert Haas, a copy of which is preserved as OC2/p. 74.

Heinrich and Jeanette Schenker acquired their first radio set in October 1924, and from that point on documented what they listened to in detail in his diaries. The radio gave them an entrée into genres of music, from popular music and jazz to contemporary opera, that they would not have chosen to attend live. They also listened to plays, readings, talks, and lectures.

Sources

  • Hewlett, Kirstie, "Heinrich Schenker and the Radio," Music Analysis, Special Issue on Schenker Documents, 34/2 (July 2015), 244‒64
  • Hewlett, Kirstie, Heinrich Schenker and the Radio (PhD diss., University of Southampton, 2015)

Download all selected files as or or (check files to select/deselect)
Where appropriate save: English and German versions German version only English version only

Correspondence

Diaries