Documents associated with this entity:

Principal orchestra of Vienna.

Founded on March 28, 1842 by composer-conductor Otto Nicolai as a private, self-governing body, the orchestra launched its series of Philharmonic Concerts (Philharmonische Konzerte) in 1860. The conductors for its subscription series since then have included Hans Richter (1875‒98), Gustav Mahler (1898‒1901), Felix Weingartner (1908‒27), Clemens Krauss (1929‒33), Wilhelm Furtwängler (1927‒30), Bruno Walter and Furtwängler jointly (1933‒38), and Furtwängler during World War II, while others, such as Felix Mottl, were invited as guest conductors. From 1870 on, its principal venue has been the Large Hall (Grosser Saal), or Golden Hall (Goldener Saal) of the newly-built Musikverein Building.

Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra and Schenker

Schenker attended numerous VPO concerts during his days as a concert reviewer in the 1890s and throughout the remainder of his career, and from 1924 onward by listening to its concerts via Radio Wien, commenting on its performances in his diaries.

Contributor:

  • Ian Bent

Download all selected files as or or (check files to select/deselect)
Where appropriate save: English and German versions German version only English version only

Correspondence

Diaries